Monday, April 6, 2015

How to Peel Hard Boiled Eggs...It's Never Been Easier!

Right before Easter, I saw a post on Huffington Post about how to perfectly peel a hard boiled egg.  The video showed the egg being shaken in a glass of water.

Anytime I see a kitchen hack, I'm skeptical.  So many of them simply don't work.  Is your spaghetti water foaming too much and boiling over?  Don't put a wooden spoon on top of the pot.  It doesn't work.  Do your hands smell of onion after slicing one?  Don't touch them to a stainless sink.  They'll still be smelly.  You get the idea.

I did try this shortcut though because with Easter coming, I knew I'd need to peel eggs for deviling.  I wanted my job to be as easy as possible.  To start, I hard boiled the oldest eggs in my refrigerator.  Fresh eggs are harder to peel.

After the eggs were hard boiled and cooled enough to handle, I put one in a lidded container with about an inch of water.  Sure enough, I shook it vigorously and the shell popped right off in the water.


Peeling hard boiled eggs has never been easier!  Here's my egg popping right out of its shell.

I repeated the process with three eggs in the container.  The shells cracked and came off in one piece when I peeled at them.  They were not floating loosely in the water.  Of all the eggs I peeled using this method, I only found any shell on one egg.  A shard of shell had stuck into the egg white.  If I had not inspected each egg, I would not have noticed but it would've been an unpleasant surprise to whoever ate the deviled egg later.

Bottom line: this technique works!  Don't crowd the eggs in a container.  They need to be able to shift freely.  Inspect the eggs after to make sure no shards stick into the eggs.  Biting into egg shell is the worst.

No comments:

Post a Comment