Monday, April 6, 2015

Food.com Recipe Test: Sliced Baked Potatoes

I keep calling these "Pinterest Potatoes" because I keep seeing them pinned.  They're not difficult to make--just baked potatoes with thin slices about three-quarters of the way through.  But they're so good.

I had a few extra Yukon gold potatoes that I wanted to use up, so I decided to take the Pinterest plunge.  The last time I made something from Pinterest, I hated it.  Cheeseburger Soup is never a good idea.

I Googled a quick sliced baked potato recipe and the top one was written by Karen Anne Newton and posted to Food.com.  I followed it relatively closely--slicing the potatoes, drizzling with butter, and baking at 425 degrees.  Here is Karen's recipe:

http://www.food.com/recipe/sliced-baked-potatoes-286965

The two differences--before I sliced the potatoes, I sprayed them on all sides with non-stick canola oil spray then sprinkled them with salt and pepper on all sides.  This really gives the skin extra flavor.  Next change: I really like crispy potato skin.  So I broiled for the final 10 minutes.  I also omitted the cheese from my potato (still minimizing the amount of dairy I consume, so the butter was enough!)

Fresh out of the oven, the potatoes had that perfectly crispy skin.

The final product--bacon on both, and sour cream and cheese added to my husband's potato.

Insider tips: 
-Definitely sprinkle the skin with salt and pepper beforehand.  I prefer sprinkling it to rolling the potato so it isn't too salty.

-Use an old pan.  The non-stick spray in the bottom of the pan, as well as the salt-pepper blend that falls off the potato tend to burn and blacken.  I keep a few old pans for tasks like this that I know won't be pretty.

-Don't sweat when you slice the potato and there isn't noticeable space between the cuts.  As the potato bakes, it will open up a little bit.

-And definitely broil the potatoes at the end.

This technique just upgraded the boring baked potato to something fun looking and better tasting!

No comments:

Post a Comment